Reset Google / Gmail password on an Android phone

12 Flares Twitter 1 Facebook 4 Google+ 7 Reddit 0 StumbleUpon 0 Pin It Share 0 12 Flares ×

You would think this would be something that was easy to do…

I did a “year-end password change” on one of my Google accounts and so the next step was to change the password on my Android phone so that my account would sync correctly.

I must have looked through every single menu and settings screen looking for an obvious “change password” option. There was nothing to be found.

Looking online didn’t give me any solutions but there were lots and lots of people asking the same question. Some of the responses said I should get a prompt within a few hours or days of changing my Google account password online. I really didn’t want to wait that long for something that might (maybe?) happen.

Luckily, I stumbled across a way to quickly and easily change your account’s password on your phone.

• Simply go to the Android Market on your phone.
  • You’ll get prompted to enter a password — enter the new password you created for your Google account online.
  • After you’ve made the change, go back to your home screen
  • Press your Menu button
  • Go to Settings
  • Go to Accounts and Sync
  • Press the applicable Gmail account
  • Press Sync Now at the bottom of the screen

This should show that your sync is now working.

I then sent a test email from my phone and checked online to make sure it sent. It took a few seconds for the test email to send, but everything seems to be working correctly now.

Remember that any other apps that use your Google ID and password for authentication will likely have to be updated on your phone, too.

17 Responses to Reset Google / Gmail password on an Android phone

1. Giri March 21, 2012 at 3:18 am #

super…thanks…

2. Maggie April 7, 2012 at 8:01 am #

After trying EVERYTHING….this worked!! Thank you, YOU ROCK!! :)

3. Petesyl April 19, 2012 at 12:12 am #

Thought i lost all my data.. but the above option worked for me.

Galaxy S2 – Android version 2.3.5 Ginger bread

Hint: the reset password was not instantly coming in the Play store after i reset the gmail password.
    Had to clear the cache of google play store from the application settings.
    Instantly i got the password error and then i gave the new password and it worked.

Thanks @ Elliotzone

4. Will May 8, 2012 at 8:51 pm #

** Had to clear cache like Petesyl said. Worked immediately after cache was cleared.

5. Mona May 18, 2012 at 2:46 am #

Great help!!! Worked superb!!!

6. Vijay June 8, 2012 at 12:36 am #

Thank god it is worked for me.. I think it needs to be fixed in Android…

7. pete August 6, 2012 at 1:41 am #

Hi,

i found it easier to

1. change password on line
    2. just open youre Gmail on your phone and it will ask for the password.
    3 open Google play

Simpl`ss

8. elliottzone August 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

Thanks for the update, Pete. The original post was written at the end of 2010, so I’m glad to see there’s finally a way that’s a bit easier. :)

9. Aisya September 4, 2012 at 5:12 am #

Sorry , wanna ask here , I used another mail berfore . but , I’d change the password few days ago . Now , I’ve deleted the gmail account and created a new one . When I want to login gmail , this stupid phone always use my last gmail account and it keep on asking for password for my last account . My question is , how can I login the gmail with my new account .

10. elliottzone September 4, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

Trying going into: Settings > Accounts & Sync

Then click on Add Account. Add your new Google account name and password. Once you’ve got that working you can delete the old one from the phone.

11. Tracy Ashe September 5, 2012 at 8:41 am #

I’ve somehow locked myself out of my mobile phone and forgotten my Google password. How can I get access to my handset and reset the password. Is there a contact number? Many thanks. Is a contact number could be sent to Killen1969@yahoo.co.uk

12. elliottzone September 6, 2012 at 6:11 pm #

You’ll have to reset your password with Google, not with your phone. Once you’ve done that, you can reconnect your phone to your account.
    To reset your Google password, go to: https://www.google.com/accounts/recovery

13. KHAIRUL September 17, 2012 at 9:26 pm #

i cannot log in from my account to market by password.And i forget my password already..so many time i try to rest my password but still i cannot log in to market via my fon.i”m using sony ericson x peria.Can you help me to solve this promblem.With this promblem i cannot log in to market for download anything.
    Thank You.

14. Don September 25, 2012 at 6:55 am #

This is incredible. Why did they hide this? Thanks heaps for taking time to publish this workaround. Glad you stumbled upon it.

15. Barbara February 11, 2013 at 7:57 pm #

Brilliant! the Verizon Wireless store guys were clueless… my Stratosphere is fully functioning once again.
    Thanks.

16. Statis September 16, 2013 at 1:18 pm #

I had exactly the same problem, and followed the instructions above, including clearing the cache and config data. Then I remembered the old MS Windows solution, which also seems to apply to Android – I rebooted…

Problem solved. Thanks.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. I just turned on the double authentication… « Relentless Inquiry - August 15, 2012

[...] I don’t know how or why it works, but I have my G+ back on my phone now, so I’m happy. Reset Google / Gmail password on an Android phone @ elliottzoneelliottzoneInstructions on resetting your Google / Gmail password on an Android phone after you’ve [...]